TOP reviews Final Fantasy VII: Remake – PlayStation 4
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE
A spectacular re-imagining of one of the most visionary games ever, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE rebuilds the legendary RPG for today.
The first entry in a multi-part saga, delivering a level of depth inconceivable for the original. The world has fallen under the control of the Shinra Electric Power Company, a shadowy corporation controlling the planet’s very life force as mako energy.
A spectacular reimagining of one of the most visionary games ever, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE rebuilds and expands the legendary RPG for today.
The first game in the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE project, delivering a level of depth inconceivable for the original. Mind-blowing story, unforgettable characters, epic battles and technical excellence collide.
The world has fallen under the control of the Shinra Electric Power Company, a shadowy corporation controlling the planet’s very life force as mako energy.
In the sprawling city of Midgar, an anti-Shinra organization calling themselves Avalanche have stepped up their resistance. Cloud Strife, a former member of Shinra’s elite SOLDIER unit now turned mercenary, lends his aid to the group, unaware of the epic consequences that await him.
1997, 2020 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.
CHARACTER DESIGN: TETSUYA NOMURA / ROBERTO FERRARI LOGO ILLUSTRATION: 1997 YOSHITAKA AMANO FINAL FANTASY, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, SQUARE ENIX and the SQUARE ENIX logo are registered trademarks.
TOP reviews Final Fantasy VII: Remake – PlayStation 4
Nothing like being excited since I was a kid for remake of this and having it pre-ordered since 2016 on Amazon to find out from review sites that this isn’t a FULL FF7 remake! That this is 10% of the game and the game will be released in stages over many years charging you FULL price for each stage/remake. This is very deceiving and shady. The devs at Square Enix should have been upfront with this information since the beginning. You lost a lifetime Final Fantasy fan. 🙁
EDIT: Have to do an edit as there seems to be tons of misinformed fans commenting on MY review. Did you catch that? MY review. Not yours. You all seem upset that you don’t agree with me but yet you comment on my review and not make your own. Not sure the need to comment at all. But to clarify a few things.
– Very few articles exist of Square Enix mentioning anything on this game being in multiple parts. The trailers and public information out there mention NOTHING about multiple parts. Square Enix even went as far as to NOT mention it in the title of the game. Every single game EVER that is multiple parts says so in the title. This should have been called Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 1. How hard is that to do? Instead it’s written in EXTREMELY small print on the back of the game. In my opinion this is purposely hidden. Again, in my opinion Square Enix dragged their feet for many many years on making this title and you can show in the quality of the final product. Took them longer than the original and you get 10% of the original. What a joke they should be ashamed of themselves.
– For those that keep saying it takes 40+ hours to beat and you get your money’s worth, etc. etc. You guys haven’t played the game. I beat the game while doing most but not all of the side quests in a little over 20 hours. The game is like watching a movie and is EXTREMELY linear. It is one set path almost the entire remake. Every time you try and go somewhere you want to you are greeted with either LOCKED doors or nag screens that pull you back into the one set path. What a joke. There is nothing open world about this Part 1 Remake.
– The game struggles to maintain a 30 FPS lock that is set for the game. Tons and tons of years making and optimizing the game and it runs choppy more than I would like. There is no reason especially on a PS4 Pro this game doesn’t run at 60 FPS. I’m sure some will say you don’t need 60 FPS, etc. etc. But when you are use to buttery smooth games elsewhere than you notice the hiccups frequently in this. It runs like a beta build way more than it should. Like 20 FPS if you’re lucky at times.
– The game is so easy even on normal that you don’t need to grind at all. It’s like an anti-grind Final Fantasy. Leveling up doesn’t really matter at all and like I said above you literally just watch a movie most of this game.
– The characters they added to the remake are easily forgettable and cheesy. It feels rushed and like added fluff.
So, would I recommend this game? For maybe 10-15 bucks on sale it would be worth it just for the decent movie parts here and there. But as a Final Fantasy 7 Remake. No. Midgar is boring, repetitive, and extremely linear. This game feels like an after thought and a cash grab from a game that should have been completed in a year. For all the haters leaving comments on my review you most likely agree but just are so disappointed by the game from all the years of excitement you just almost pretend that this is a worthy remake when you know it’s not. I wish some smart folks would make a fan remake and release it and I promise it would be wayyyyyy better than what you receive here.
Final note – Given the remake is in parts and simple math it will take 20-30 years to get your FULL REMAKE and if they are like the first remake part 1 or whatever they are selling this as you will get 60 hours total of linear, almost non-playable movie for your 200+ dollars it will cost you to get there. LOL.
I just played the game and to be honest, so far, I’m not impressed at all. The battle system is so average, which I’m not surprised. I love action rpgs, but SE can’t make excellent ones cuz they’re really horrible at them. It’s just not their area and they’ve been trying too hard to get into them. I don’t understand why people praise it this much. It’s really not that good. Not even close! Also, it feels like it’s a modified version of FF15’s battle system and the menus and some icon designs are very similar, which I hate cuz FF15 is one for the worst games I’ve ever played and anything that reminds me of it makes me angry and bored to death.
Yes, it’s still too early to judge it, which is why I didn’t call it garbage yet, but if the basics are not fun then I don’t see myself changing my mind. The visuals are absolutely fantastic though, but again, that’s all they’re good at. SE need to make games based on what they’re good at. Something about it is not FF7. It’s like a shallow, but beautiful clone. Not shocked though, I’ve stopped trusting SE. it just bothers me that most people don’t see how shallow their games have become.
The original Final Fantasy VII was a masterpiece that pushed video gaming beyond what many expected, combining a deep and intricate narrative with a cinematic quality, a beautiful yet perilous world corrupted with evil, and some of the most epic boss battles in gaming history. And despite the remake only expanding upon the first few hours of the game, it perfectly adapts the atmosphere and scale of the original and elevates it to new levels. This is perhaps the new standard for what a remake should do – keep many of the best elements of the original and expand on them heavily, while also adapting its best moments into a modern experience. I won’t spoil anything for you, but if you’re curious, play the remake as soon as you get the chance, because this is the most epic video game in history.
Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a retelling of the story of Midgar from the original Final Fantasy 7. It’s a FULL game despite what some people says. This is NOT an episodic series. Each games in this series are going to be FULL games. An episodic series is something like Life is Strange. This is not what this is. You get a 40h+ experience. It took me 42h to beat the game and I did not do all the side quests.
The battle system is more action oriented than the original but it’s still got a lot of strategy. You can’t just smash the square button and expect to win. It’s still use the ATB system from the original but this time it’s use to perform special attacks, magics and items. Normal attacks can be done without the ATB. You can also block and evade in real time. It’s super fun and battle are never boring. The boss battles are really epic.
The game has a lot of new side quests and events that really flesh out the characters and Midgar. The city feels alive. Not all of them are great but even the most boring quests will give you some nice development.
The music and voice acting are pretty good overall. Some NPCs have some ok voices but the main cast is great!
The story is the most controversial part for some people I guess. They are changes from the original and that is to be expected. I won’t spoil stuff cause this is a spoiler-free review. I’m glad they changed some things cause it will be boring if it was the same has the original. The original still exist and that’s great! I like that there is now two versions of this amazing story.
I guess that’s it. I’m probably forgetting a lot stuffs right now but I’m just so excited I wanna go back and do a new game+. Lol
See you guy and have fun!